Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

1. Do I need a licence to work as a security guard?

Yes, you may not work as a security guard without a licence.  If you are found to be working with out a licence you will be fined hundreds of dollars by the Government.

2.  What is the fee for the Security Guard training?

Our tuition fee is $240 at this time, which includes taxes and your first security licence test.  Tuition varies with our costs.  If our costs go down, your tuition fee will go down and vice-versa.

3.  Will I get a receipt for the tuition and is it tax-deductible?

We will give you a receipt for your tuition fee.  Whether it is tax-deductible is between you and the taxman.

4.  Are there other fees or costs involved with the training?

The training cost is $240 at this time but there are other costs in getting a Security Guard Licence. You must show a clear criminal record check and child abuse registry check and these can cost from approximately $50 to over $100, depending on your personal situation.  Finally, you will be charged another $30 when you apply for your security guard licence.

5.  Do I need to pay my tuition fee in advance?

No, tuition is paid on the first day of training, in cash.  We trust and believe that, when you commit to come to our training, you will actually attend or at least tell us if you have changed your mind.  However, we are testing advance payment via PayPal.  Call us for details if you want to use that option.

6.  What if I have to cancel my registration?

We understand that cancellations are sometimes unavoidable.  If you must cancel, please have the common courtesy to notify us.  Our space is limited and when we save a seat for someone who doesn't attend, it costs us money.  If you're not coming to our training - LET US KNOW.  If you have obtained a temporary security guard licence using our registration confirmation, we will notify the Department of Justice that you have made a false statement.

7.  Do I need a criminal record check to take your training?

No, the criminal record check is needed only when you apply for your licence after you pass the licence test.  The quickest and cheapest source for that check is "The Commissionaires", 290 Burnell St. in Winnipeg, 204 942-5993.  Results are usually obtained in 48 hours, they cost less than WPS and have free parking.

8.  Do I need a child abuse registry check to take your training?

No, the child abuse registry check is needed only when you apply for your licence after you pass the licence test.  The only place to get one of these is at the Child Protection Agency, 777 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg.  Online applications are possible, see for more information.  This check can take up to six weeks so, if you want one, apply as soon as you can.

9.  Can I study the manual on my own and just write the test?

No, the Department of Justice demands that all persons attempting the licence test must have attended 5 days or 40 hours of training before being eligible to write that test.

10.  Do you have weekend or evening courses?

No, at this time, we offer training only Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.

11.  Do you offer the basic security course on dates other than those in your published schedule?

No, we offer the basic course only when demand requires it.

12.  Do I need to bring anything special to the training?

Bring only yourself, a pen and your tuition fee (of course).

13.  When will I be able to write the security guard licence test and what is the pass mark?

The Department of Justice schedules two test days each month.  The pass mark for this test is 75%.  We schedule our training for the week prior to the test so you will finish the course on Friday and write the test the next Wednesday or Thursday at their location.  Your instructor will make the arrangements for you to write the test.

14.  What happens if I fail the test?

You have three tries to pass the test.  If you are still unsuccessful after that, you must repeat the course.

15.  Do I have to pay $25 for each test?

Yes, after all,  it is the government.

16.  After I pass the test, how do I get a licence

The best place to get that question answered is on the Department of Justice website.  Go to and read their "Application guide for New Individual Licence". 

They can be contacted at:  Private Investigators and Security Guards Program, 1800-155 Carleton St., Winnipeg, MB  R3C 3H8, Tel 204 945-1242 or 945-2825, email, Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm.

17.  Do you offer other training than just the basic course?

We offer several courses aimed at helping security guards in their work.  Please click on our "Training Offered" link on the left side of our web pages.

18.  Can I come and register at your office?

Because we are often out of the office, you may be unable to find us.  Our building has medium security access and you might not be able to enter if we are absent.  For that reason, we request that you call or email for information and register for our training online.

19.  Where is the training given?

Currently, we are running our training at the Sturgeon Creek United Church, 207 Thompson Drive in Winnipeg (this is not our office).  This is rented space only and we will not be there unless we are running a course.  Please don't look for us at that address unless you are coming for training that day and please don't pester their office staff.

20.  I want to register for the next course but your schedule says it's full.  What can I do?

You can register for a course that is full and we will place your name on our waiting list.  Or, we can guarantee a seat on the next course on the following month.  Or, we can do both so that if we get a cancellation you have a chance to get on the full course or stay on the list for the next course.  You have to tell us what you want so we can get you the training you need.

21.  What is this extra "WHMIS" course that you offer as part of the basic course?

We offer WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) training as part of our basic Security Course and at no extra cost.  You might need this training because, if you work near hazardous materials, you must have this qualification.  Also, if you are offered work at a location where hazardous materials are present, you can accept that job without attending further, costly training.

22.  I want to apply for a temporary security guard licence.  How do I do that?

If you go to the Department of Justice and read their information on how to apply for a temporary licence you will find the answer to this question.  The confirmation email and your TracDyne registration form can be used to prove that you are registered for a security guard course with us.  However, if you do not come to our training, you have then obtained a temporary licence under false pretenses.  Then we will send your name to the Department of Justice who will cancel your temporary licence.